BHINDI MASALA (DRY) RECIPE
Bhindi masala recipe-This is one of the most widely prepared Indian bhindi curries. This provokes Punjabi style bhindi masala recipe has dry surface and requires shallow frying bhindi taken after by mixing with hot dry masala onion and standard curry flavors.
Cuisine: North Indian, Punjabi
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 2 servings
250 grams Bhindi (Ladyfinger or Okra)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons Cumin-Coriander Powder (Jeera-Dhaniya Powder)
¼ teaspoon /Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
½ teaspoons /Garam Masala
1 teaspoon grated Coconut
1-2 Green Chilies, deseeded and chopped
1 teaspoon Ginger, finely chopped (Adrak)
4 cloves Garlic (Lahsun)
½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
2 teaspoons Coriander Leaves, finely chopped (Dhaniya Patta)
3-4 tablespoons oil
- Wash/rinse bhindi in running water and dry them with a kitchen towel or just allow to dry them naturally in a plate. If they are not thoroughly dry, then they will turn sticky while cutting and cooking process. Remove head and tail of it. Cut each one lengthwise and make long parts.
- Coarsely crush green chilli, ginger (Adrak), and garlic (Lahsun) in a grinder and make spicy ginger-garlic-chili paste.
- Heat 1 ½ -tablespoons oil in a frying pan over medium flame. Shallow fry cut bhindi over medium flame until it turns dark green shrinks, approx. 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle some salt over it, keep stir and cook for a minute. Switch off the burner’s knob and transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Sauté cumin seeds (Jeera) in it; when they begin to crackle, add green chilli-ginger-garlic (Hari Mirch-Adrak-Lahsun) paste and sauté for a minute.
- Now add finely chopped onion and mix well. Sprinkle salt and bake until it turns light brown.
- Now add on turmeric powder (Haldi) and garam masala, and mix well.
- Now add shallow fried bhindi and cook for a minute.
- Now add grated coconut, cumin-coriander powder and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and transfer prepared curry to a serving bowl. Decorate bhindi masala with coriander leaves and dish up hot.
Tips and variations:
- Wash and dry bhindi 3-4 hours before cooking to prevent them from turning sticky while cooking.
- Shallow fry finely chopped potatoes (1 medium size) along with bhindi to make a delicious variant.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes in curry (after onion turns brown) for a tangy flavor.
- Add ½ teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon juice to make irresistible mild sweet and sour Gujarati style dry masala bhindi.
Servings Idea: Punjabi dry bhindi masala, tandoori roti, steamed rice or peas pulao and Cucumber tomato onion salad makes a healthy wholesome meal. Serve it in parties as a main curry dish.